Pak 1998 Issues
- 1998, February 15. Death Anniversary of Mirza Asadullah Khan Ghalib
Date of Issue (February 15, 1998)
Mirza Asadullah Khan Ghalib is regarded as the greatest South Asian poet of Urdu - a language which is widely used and understood in the entire region. He has attracted widespread attention of the common readers of Urdu. No other Urdu poet dominates the literary scene in the same way and lives in the hearts and minds of people as Ghalib.
- 1998, March 23. 50th anniversary of Pakistan Armed Forces.
Value: Rs:7.00 Armed Forces personnel and flag of Pakistan
Date of Issue (March 23,1998)
Pakistan Armed Forces have emerged as highly professional, motivated and a great stabilizing factor in the region. The last fifty years have witnessed a significant modernization of all branches of Pakistan Armed Force.
- 1998, March 27. Death Centenary of Sir Syed Ahmed Khan
- Date of Issue (March 27, 1998)
- Sir Syed Ahmed Khan was one of the greatest Muslim educationists, writers and reformers. He was the first Muslim leader who perceived that the Muslims of India were a separate nation and must not be absorbed by Hindus in a United India. He thus laid the first brick on which the edifice of Pakistan was raised.
- 1998, April 22. 27th National Games Peshawar
Value: Rs:7.00 Games emblem and sports emblems
- Date of Issue (April 22,1998)
- National Games are the regular feature of sports horizon in Pakistan. This national event provides a prestigious forum to the aspiring sports men and women to show their mental and physical prowess and earn the accolade of the nation.
- 1998, April 27. Medicinal Plants of Pakistan
Value: Rs:7.00 Plant
- Date of Issue (April 27, 1998)
- Pakistan is endowed with a great wealth of medicinal plants. These are natural botanical source of medicines. The plant depicted in the stamp is used in indigenous medicine from centuries as external anodyne and antispasmodic.
- 1998, August 6. Silver Jubilee of the Senate of Pakistan
Value: Rs:5 Arms and scroll blue background
Rs:2 Arms and scroll green background
- Date of Issue (August 6,1998)
- The Senate (Upper House) primarily functions as a legislative body. It came into existence on August 6, 1973. The Senate, as a legislative body derives equal representation from all the four federating units of Pakistan regardless of their size and population. It is a permanent legislative institution and symbolizes a process of continuity in the national affair. About one - half of the members are elected for a six year term after every three years. There are 87 senators.
- 1998, August 14. Centenary of Government College, Faisalabad (1997)
Value: Rs:5 College building
- Date of Issue (August 14,1998)
- The Government College Faisalabad is one of the oldest educational institutions in Punjab. The college has produced great sports men, academicians, politicians and notable civil and military officers. The institution has rendered significant services in the dissemination of knowledge.
- 1998, September 11. Ophthalmological Congress, Islamabad
Value: Rs:7 Eye seen through lens, butterfly and cross-section of eye
- Date of Issue (September 11, 1998)
- The Ophthalmological Society of Pakistan is actively involved in eradicating blindness in Pakistan. It has followed a concerted strategy to eliminate preventable eye diseases lke Trachoma, Cataract and Glaucoma etc. The Society arranges eye camps in the remotest areas of the country for free medical care.
- 1998, September 11. 50th Anniversary of the Death of Mohammad Ali Jinnah, Quaid-e-Azam
Value: Rs:15 Portrait of Mohammad Ali Jinnah
Stamp & Miniature sheet
- Date of Issue (September 11,1998)
- "Few individuals significantly alter the course of history. Few still modify the map of the world. Hardly any one can be credited with creating a nation state, Mohammad Ali Jinnah did all three. Hailed as 'Great Leader' (Quaid-e-Azam) of Pakistan and its first Governor General, Jinnah virtually conjured that country into statehood by the force of his indomitable will" (Stanley Walport. Jinnah of Pakistan).
- 1998, October 1. Birth Centenary of the birth of Syed Ahmed Shah Patrus Bukhari
Value: Rs:5 Portrait, emblems and book
- Date of Issue (October 1, 1998)
- Syed Ahmed Shah Patrus Bukhari was a prolific writer. His Urdu essays called ' Patrus ke Mazameen' published in 1927 was instantly recognized as a masterpiece of Urdu literature. He was an eminent teacher who transformed the lives of uncountable people. He earned reputation for his global knowledge and his passion for service to mankind. Serving as Pakistan's representative in U.N and then as UN Under- Secretary General, he gained international reputation as the brilliant spokesman of his county as well as serving the cause of Afro-Asian nations.
- 1998, October 4. 50th Anniversary of Philately in Pakistan
Value: Rs:6 "50" and Stamps
- Date of Issue (October 4, 1998)
- Philatelic exhibitions are the major ingredients for promotion of philately and play a vital role in boosting the hobby among general public. Equally important role is played by local philatelic societies and though the number of philatelists in Pakistan is not great, there is at least one major philatelic society or club in a large number of cities.
- 1998, October 16. World Food Day (Women Feed the World)
Value: Rs:6 Woman and F.A.O. Emblem
- Date of Issue (October 16, 1998)
- The role of women in agriculture was underscored at the 1996 World Food Summit, where 186 countries pledged to create enabling environment for full and equal participation of women and men. According to FAO, globally, women produce more than half of all the food grown. In Africa this percentage goes to 80 % while in Asia women provide 50 to 90 % of the labour for rice cultivation.
- 1998, November 21. Scientists of Pakistan Series - Professor Dr. Abdus Salam
Value: Rs:2 Dr. Abdus Salam, Nobel laureate in physics
- Date of Issue (November 21,1998)
- Dr. Abdus Salam, a Nobel laureate in Physics is one of the most outstanding scientists of Pakistan. He was awarded honorary doctorate by 26 universities. He was a fellow at St.John's College Cambridge, a fellow at the Institute of Advanced Studies at Princeton University, a member of the Royal Society and of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. His areas of research were physics of elementary particles and scientific education and science policy.
- 1998, November 27. The Pakistan 2010 Programme for a Better Pakistan
Value: Rs:2 People
Rs:2 Satellite dish
Rs:2 Combine harvester
Rs:2 Golden picture
- Date of Issue (November 27,1998)
- The vision of Pakisatn 2010 Programme is based on four goals. These are: Justice for all Pakistanis,Tolerance of opinion and belief, Knowledge for production and competition and Entrepreneurshipas a behviour that innovates and produces. The immediate goals of the Pakistan 2010 Programmeare to establish good governance, double per captia income and ensure equitable access to economic opportunity and equality social services.
- 1998, December 10.50th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Rs:6 Globe and anniversary emblem
- Date of issue (December 10,1998)
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights proclaims the fundamental freedoms of thought, opinion, expression and belief and enshrines the core right of participatory and representative government. It also proclaims economic, social and cultural rights to equal opportunity. The Universal Declaration serves as the cornerstone of the international community's fifty-year commitment to a truly human quality of life for all people.
- 1998, December 11. 50 Years of U.N.I.C.E.F. in Pakistan
Rs:2 Clean water for all
Rs:2 Educate the girl child
Rs:2 No more polio
Rs:2 Eliminate iodine deficiency disorders
- Date of Issue (December 11,1998)
- Pakistan Post Office has issued a set of four stamps to commemorate the activities of UNICEF in Pakistan during the last fifty years. These stamps highlight the following priority themes for the Pakistani children:
- Educate the girl child
- No more polio
- Clean water for all
- Eliminate iodine deficiency disorders
- 1998, December 15. International Year of the Ocean and the Environment
Rs:5 Part of globe and U.N.E.S.C.O. emblem
- Date of Issue (December 15,1998)
- The United Nations declared 1998 the international year of the Ocean as a celebration of this source of life and civilization. Over 90 % of the planet's living and non -living resources are found within a few hundred Kilometers of the coasts. On or near these coasts live two-thirds of the world's people. Without the sea, life on earth would be impossible.
- 1998, December 16. The National Flag March, Khyber to Chaghi (Qaumi Parchm March)
Rs:2 Marchers and map of Pakistan
Date of Issue (December 16, 1998)
The National Flag March was the culmination of number of rallies organized to instill a fresh breath into the life of vibrant nation of Pakistan. The march covering a distance of 1350 Kilometers and passing through 50 districts of the country terminated at Chagi in Baluchisatn - the birthplace of Pakistan nuclear device and symbol of long march towards progress, prosperity and self reliance.